Great new Fall TV 2010!
A quick snappy list:
1.Terriers on FX on Wednesday nights–super under-rated , brilliant. Created by
the makers of ‘The Shield’; give it a chance. I love the underlying theme of dogs
on the show…interesting. Hopefully the PR campaign doesn’t backfire on them. Think
Big Lebowski in San Diego, which is a refreshing location for those of us sick
LA based shows.
2.Good Guys-FOX-Fridays–fun, interesting cop show: Felix and Oscar 2010 cop style;
good slapstick and goofy style. Texas location, also a breath of fresh air.
Colin Hanks and Bradley Whitford make the show. They can’t all be Mad Men.
3.The Big C-SHOWTIME-Sunday nights: Laura Linney, Oliver Platt, John Ben Hickey.
Cancer can be funny after all. And how can you not love a Bassett Hound?
4.Boardwalk Empire-HBO-Sundays: Steve Buschemi and Michael Pitt at their best yet
again. A few years ago they did a movie together called ‘Delirious’ which is where
the camera chemistry started. Ying and Yang works. The roaring 1920’s are back and
HBO is too.
5.Running Wilde-FOX-Will Arnett’s sense of humor is very much like my own, so I
can’t help but love the utter silliness of this show. A nice change.
6.Raising Hope-FOX-Martha Plimpton and Cloris Leachman plus some young stars make
this show Fox’s funniest since “Malcolm in the Middle”.
7.The Defenders-CBS-Jim Belushi and Jerry O’Connell are both trying something
different and I do mean it. They both are really acting and the show is
interesting. Screw critics, its original and funny. Very like a funny Perry
8. Outsourced–NBC-has some serious potential to be great…and its nice to see a
show not based in the USA for once.
9. Outlaw-CBS-as we learned from last seasons Dexter, Jimmy Smits is an ex con-
servative judge turned lawyer. Plenty of twists and turns and Smit’s stellar
acting makes it worthy of watching. So far his cases are current, debatable
topics that hold your interest for sure.
Good TV shows that got better:
1. Mad Men-AMC-See my previous blogs, it’s still the best show on TV in about 10 years.
2. Fringe-FOX-When Lost ended, this show got better…or is it just that we all paid
attention better now. Great writing, acting and more.
3. Eastbound and Down-HBO-Danny Mcbride and Katy Mixon two of my favorites-hilarious
4. Lie to Me-FOX-(now run by the former ‘The Shield’ show-runner)has made a huge leap
to quite an incredible show. Tim Roth at his very best.
Full episodes: Lie To Me
5. Sons of Anarchy-FX-It never lets me down and now has a cult following with just
6. Bored to Death-HBO-the best fake detective show ever written. Jonathan Ames is
one of our great modern writers.
7. Royal Pains-USA-didn’t bore me this season; good a second time around and it now
has Henry Winkler on it.
8. Psyche–USA-Always good surprises, random guest stars and random references to
obscure things. Fun times.
9. Modern Family-ABC-I shouldn’t have to say anything about this show, it’s just
awesome, and the only current sitcom that has a John Hughes quality.
10. Pit boss-ANIMAL PLANET-one of two reality TV shows I watch; little people
saving pitbulls and working in Hollywood.
11. Last Chance Highway-ANIMAL PLANET-the only other reality show I watch about a
cute family who save/rescue stray dogs in the deep south. A bit like a ‘Best in
show’ but the real story with lots of heart.
12. Dexter-SHOWTIME-its back and also one of the best shows on TV in the last 10
years as well.